Join Our Team!
“A team is not a group of people that work together. A team is a group of people that trust each other.”
Barton Family Lawyers is a fast growing Family Law Firm with offices on Brisbane’s north side at Chermside and Petrie.
We specialise in supporting victims of narcissistic abuse and coercive control to take their power back.
We offer fixed fees for all services giving our client’s transparency and control over their costs.
In March 2018, Courtney Barton set out to create a practice to deliver more value to her clients through passion, innovation and thought leadership. Courtney recognised that the key to providing more value and to building an unstoppable team was to build her people. Courtney knows what it feels like to work in a firm where you are not valued, where the culture is toxic, where there is no feedback or opportunities to grow and where effective leadership is lacking.
Courtney was passionate about creating a team environment where each person is valued equally, where the culture is happy and healthy, where feedback goes both ways and where learning and growth of her people is paramount. A place where people respect, trust and care for each other. A place where people feel safe and can be themselves. A place where people feel comfortable putting up their hand if they make a mistake. A place where people feel supported and empowered to put their best work into the hands of people who are in need of help.
Courtney’s ultimate aim – to build a trusting team where our people provide a superior quality of service to clients and support them through every step of their separation journey.
And so, BFL was born.
A snapshot of what it is like to work at BFL
- We are a supportive team that work together to empower each others strengths. We don’t compete with each other. We collaborate.
- We offer a 9.5 day fortnight.
- We pride ourselves in our professional development budget offering.
- We enjoy catching up regularly for team building events such as rock climbing, escape rooms, Melbourne Cup, and our EOFY and Christmas parties.
We currently have one exciting opportunity available to join our strong, dynamic team >>>
EXPERIENCED FAMILY LAWYER
About the role
Barton Family Lawyers is looking for an Experienced Family Lawyer with 5 + years PAE to join our mission to support victims of coercive control through their separation journey.
Our ideal candidate is someone who enjoys mentoring young lawyers, who is sick of the city commute, time charging and billable hours, and who wants more work life balance, so they can enjoy more time with their family.
In this role you will be based at our Petrie office but you may be required to work from our Chermside office from time to time.
What we offer
- Our team works a 9.5 day fortnight.
- We support our team to ensure they receive what they need to achieve their professional development and career goals.
- We have a fantastic team of support staff, including experienced paralegals to assist you with your files.
- Career progression.
- The opportunity to build your public professional profile including through networking groups.
- Regular team culture building events.
- Generous incentives for our lawyers when they meet their financial targets.
- Bonuses paid monthly.
- No legal aid.
What we are looking for from you
- You are currently a Family Lawyer with at least 5 years PAE in family law.
- You have experience working with complex property and financial matters and can hit the ground running these files day to day.
- You are wanting complex and interesting work which includes regular representation of clients needing litigation funding and spousal maintenance.
- You enjoy working as a team in a collaborative environment where you will be supported and mentored and you will have the opportunity to support and mentor others.
- You have excellent communication skills.
- You enjoy learning new and challenging things.
- You are interested in working at a firm that does law differently, with a value pricing model for all services.
- You are disinterested in working for a firm where everyone is competitive for billables.
- You share our values of supporting one another and working together to empower each others strengths.
What Great Looks Like
At 1 month:
- The focus of month 1 is learning. Learning about how we operate, our clients, their challenges, and how we solve them, and how we work differently from other family law firms.
- You will become a part of a mini team (2 – 3 members) within the bigger BFL team, and you will understand the ins and outs of the team’s processes to drive efficiency from the bottom up.
- You will understand our philosophy around supporting the team and having each others backs.
- You will become familiar with our different fixed fee agreements and how to draft them to suit each individual matter and client.
- You will have started meeting with clients for initial consultations.
- You will be interacting with current clients, attending court and mediation.
At 3 months:
- You will have a more detailed understanding of our different fixed fee agreements and how to quote fixed fees.
- You are proactively managing clients and matters and bringing them to a conclusion with the support of your team.
- You are mentoring other members of our team to assist them with their learning and growth.
- You will identify opportunities for process optimization to increase efficiency within the team, in line with our fixed fee model.
At 6 months:
- You are solving problems proactively with the assistance of your team.
- You are handling around 30 clients and managing matters from beginning to end with the support of your mini team.
- You have streamlined processes in place to make fixed fees work for you so that you are working smarter, not harder, within your mini team.
- You are looking for more ways to further streamline processes to increase efficiency.
Our Hiring Process
If the above opportunity to work as part of a collaborative, supportive family law team resonates with you, then we would love to hear from you.
We can arrange a confidential meeting or coffee catch up.
Please email your resume and cover letter to our Practice Manager: [email protected]
- Our Goal: Understanding your qualifications, experience and whether you will be a good fit for our team and vice versa.
- 30 – 60 minute interview with 1 to 2 members of the BFL team including our Practice Director.
- We want to know about your goals and plans for your future.
- We want to know about challenges you have experienced within previous work environments and how you have handled them.
- We will leave time for you to ask questions.
Our Core Values
- We promise the three C’s – Clear communication, Certainty of our fees and Clarity of our advice.
- We give our client’s practical advice and the pros and cons of each option.
- We treat our team and clients like family.
- We keep each other accountable.
- We sweat the small stuff.
- We work together to empower each others strengths.
- We are always looking for opportunities to grow.