Our Family Lawyers Toowong are experts in all areas of family law, whether you are looking to split assets, negotiate child custody arrangements, obtain spousal support, child support, apply or respond to a protection order application or if you simply need a divorce. Our Brisbane Family Lawyers are dedicated to helping you navigate through these difficult issues and achieve a fair outcome and the best practical outcome for you and your family as quickly and cost effectively as possible, whilst avoiding bitter and drawn out litigation. For your peace of mind, we offer fixed fees for our services. Our fixed fees are tailored to your specific needs. This ensures you are in control.
Courtney Barton, Principal and founder of Barton Family Lawyers is committed to providing her clients with sensible, practical and tactical legal advice, to empower them to achieve the best practical outcome for them and their family so they can move on with their life as soon as possible, at the least possible financial and emotional cost.
Click the picture to check out our Youtube Video where Courtney Barton explains why she loves being a Family Lawyer.
Want information on a specific area of family law?
If you want more information on issues relating to parenting disputes, check out our Common Questions page as well as the following family law articles:
- Fact Sheet – Children – A guide for separated parents
- How to spend more time with your children
- What is substantial and significant time
- Parental Alienation in Family Court Disputes – Part 1
- Parental Alienation in Family Court Disputes – Part 2
- Top 10 things people do wrong in child custody matters
- What age can a child decide where they live?
- Admissibility of recordings in family law cases
- Am I a parent?
- I’m Not a parent. Can I apply for a parenting order?
- I want sole custody
- Can I go to court without doing mediation first?
- Can parenting orders be changed?
- Relocation of Children
- Prevention is better than cure – interim relocation cases?
- Unilateral relocation of children
- International travel with children after separation
- My ex is breaching a parenting order. What do I do?
- When is supervised time ordered?
- Is a child’s changed views enough to change a parenting order?
- Interim parenting orders – why can’t the judge make the orders I want?
- When can you change your child’s surname?
- What is substantial and significant time?
- Domestic violence order applications – boosting prospects of success
You may also like to check out our family law information videos for helpful tips, advice and information following separation on parenting related issues:
- Why can’t the judge make the orders I want at the first court date?
- What is the purpose of the Family Report?
- When can a child decide where they live?
- When can a parenting order be changed?
- Facebook and family court
- How to formalise a property settlement or parenting order
- Frequently asked questions – the initial consultation
- Client stories with Courtney
You may also find the following family court information pages and fact sheets helpful:
- If you agree on parenting arrangements;
- If you do not agree on parenting arrangements;
- Compulsory Family dispute resolution – court procedures & requirements;
- Marriages, Families & separation;
- Parenting orders – obligations, consequences and who can help;
- Complying with orders about children;
- How do I apply for parenting orders?
Property Settlement / Asset division issues
If you want more information on issues relating to property settlement disputes, check out our Common Questions page as well as the following family law articles:
- What to do and what not to do when you separate
- Why you should formalise your property settlement;
- Is Domestic violence relevant in a property settlement?
- 6 secrets revealed to protect your assets
- 10 tips to protect your assets
- 6 things you must know before hiring a family lawyer
- Your Duty of Disclosure
- Spousal Maintenance – supporting your ex partner after separation
- Initial contribution of assets in a long relationship
- What is the just and equitable requirement?
- Chancellor & Mccoy – no property order just & equitable after 27 year relationship
- Am I in a de facto relationship?
- Property acquired after separation – how is it treated?
- Future inheritances – when are they taken into account?
- Failure to disclose an asset can derail consent orders
- Consequences of Defaulting on property orders
- Varying property orders
- Who stays in the home after separation?
- Can the court order someone to leave the house – ouster orders
- Money lent from parents – gift or loan?
- The impact of centrelink fraud on a property settlement
- CGT rollover relief for transfers of property pursuant to family court orders
- Costs orders
- Divorce – what you need to know
- Going back to work after divorce
You may also like to check out our family law information videos for helpful tips, advice and information following separation in relation to property settlement related issues:
- What is my separation date?
- How do I leave a relationship with no financial means?
- How a court determines your property settlement entitlements
- Time limits on property settlements
- 6 things you must know before hiring a family lawyer
- What to do and what not to do when you separate
- How to formalise a property settlement or parenting agreement
You may also find the following family court information pages & fact sheets helpful:
- Property and finances after separation;
- Reaching an Agreement without going to court;
- If you agree about property & finance;
- If you don’t agree about property & finance;
- Complying with Financial Orders.
Courney is the only person I would call if I ever had any legal issues. Her help, knowledge and experience had helped tremendously through the rough times during my children and property court battle. I highly recommend Barton Family Lawyers!
Found Courtney and George not only to be very professional but also very caring and courteous and I would strongly recommend using their services to family and friends if ever needed.
Courtney is a master at her profession.She promised me she would get my power back ,and she delivered.She is a balance of great empathy and fights for you all the way ,the outcome was exactly what i needed.I highly recommend her and her amazing team,to get you the outcome you want.
I had Cortney help me with my family court matter. I couldnt have asked for a better team. From the start the care and understanding from the whole team at Barton was outstanding. I will be forever grateful for the outcome. If you are after a awesome family lawyer look no further. The photo never would have been possible without Courtney and her team. Thank you
Thank you to Courtney and the Barton team for guiding me through a difficult and confusing separation process. Barton Family Lawyers kept me updated, acted immediately on my questions and instructions and most importantly put my best interests forward at all times.
There really is no way to put a price on the stress relief Barton’s exceptional service, understanding and drive for results brings.
Highly recommended if you want the work done right, first time.
Courtney and her team have gone above and beyond for myself and children. I’m so appreciative of them fighting for what was fair for myself and children.
Courtney knows how to deal with narcissistic behaviour and she had given me support and guidance through this traumatic experience.
Courtney is open with you and honest. Every email she sends or receives comes back to you and she will let you know what is important or not. They helped me through the process with detailed billing.
I could not have found anyone better to deal with my difficult separation than Barton family firm.
Everyone in the team I can’t say how grateful I am to everyone who work on my case. Thank you is not big enough. But I am thankful.
So far so good Chris, Rachel and the team at Barton Family Law, have been a exceptionally patient & helpful with my somewhat difficult case. As a veteran things can be quite complicated with regards to family matters. Would highly recommend 🙂
Barton Family Lawyers, or the ‘Dream Team’ as I like to call them. I cannot recommend Courtney, George and the team at Barton Family Law highly enough.
The last couple of years have been the worst experience of my life, but I was backed and supported 100 percent by the whole team at BFL. Nothing was ever an issue, me asking thousands of questions, me emailing stacks of questions, me crying on the phone was never an issue. I had nothing but support and expert advice the whole way through.
I can honestly say I wouldn’t be where I am today without everything Barton Family Lawyers did for me. Courtney, George, Tenayah, Ellie, Alice, thank you from the bottom of my heart for everything. The whole team got me the absolute best results and I will forever be thankful.
To the queen of her team, Courtney, thank you. Thank you for absolutely everything. From day one you have been right at my side and have made me stand up and fight for what is right. You have given me back my power and I can never thank you enough for it all. You have been my voice when I wasn’t able to speak and have fought for me the whole way though.
From the bottom of my heart, thank you. I will scream the praise of you and your team to anyone who will listen.
To whom it may concern,
Ellie Prior and Barton Family Law were great to work with during a difficult time. Separations are tough, but Ellie consistently kept her cool and remained positive. Ms Prior offered timely expert advice/options for each circumstance throughout the proceedings.
Gladly, an agreement was reached that both sides were comfortable with. My family’s future is bright and I appreciate Ellie’s hard work.
Lawyers are expensive… Although, I am preferential to the Barton Family Law billing process. IMO Barton’s billing is superior to the law firm I was previously engaged with. Basically, Barton Family Law quote in stages for their work and don’t hit you with surprise extra charges. Three times money was left over in trust to be used for the next stage in court. My feeling throughout the proceedings was that Barton’s billing was fair.
Separations are stressful, Ellie and the Barton Family Law crew helped to make it as painless as possible.
Thanks Ellie, Courtney and the Barton Crew.
Amazing, amazing people, amazing location, just amazing everything
Thank you Courtney for your excellent service. Amazing professionalism & so efficient also showing compassion & understanding..the BEST in her field & I was so fortunate to have her support & advice…highly recommend.
Courtney and her team have been terrific in assisting me with my matter. Excellent communication, swift action and a very professional service – I highly recommend Barton Family Lawyers.
I can’t thank Courtney enough for her dedication to achieving not only the best outcome for me but also what is fair and right.
My children and I are forever grateful.
The team at Barton Family Lawyers went above and beyond to enable a property settlement which enable me to move forward with my life. I highly recommend Courtney and the team for all your family law needs.
With experience and know how far beyond her years. I cannot thank or recommend anyone any higher than Courtney.
Having worked with many lawyers over the past 10 years she not only did the legal work to its absolute finest but more importantly she got my daughter back in my life at a time when at one stage I had given up hope.
She is such an authentic person & while she won’t sugar coat anything she is someone you want in your corner.
I highly recommend Courtney Barton, of Barton Family lawyers, for matters including domestic violence and property settlement. The legal system is very traumatising for domestic violence victims and Courtney helped me navigate this, with empathy and her extensive knowledge of the legal system. Courtney clearly explained the process and my options. Courtney helped enable me to successfully seek a domestic violence protection order, and a favourable property settlement outcome.
Divorce is never an easy journey for any individual regardless of their background, occupation or gender. Particularly so, as emotions are running high, all logic flies out the door and extreme frustration looms over one’s mind making it impossible to make a rational decisions. In a such volatile journey, having the right legal partner makes all the difference. Barton Family Lawyers have helped me keep my emotions at bay and enabled me focus on the issues at hand with a rational mind and thereby allowing me to reach a good result in my property settlement and my divorce.
I was not just a mere client but a lawyer (who practised a different area of law) myself and therefore questioned, examined thoroughly every advice and process Barton Family Lawyers gave and undertook in the family court. I wanted a lawyer who would strongly advocate for me, communicate my arguments/issues with the court and the other side like I would have if I was to defend myself. Barton Family Lawyers did exactly that. They exceeded my expectations and advocated for me so strongly in court or whilst communicating with the other side, but most of all, took all reasonable endeavours to enable me to reach my desired result. I strongly recommend Barton Family Lawyers to anyone who is looking a lawyer that is worth every dollar, produces outstanding quality work and wishes to feel the same vindication I felt through this journey.
From the moment we met Courtney we knew she meant business and that’s exactly how she performed right from start to finish.
She totally exceeded our expectations and we highly recommend her.
Thanks so much Courtney. A job well done and thanks to you a five year old has been reunited with his family
Courtney and her team are nothing short of amazing. Prior to and on the day of our case, the level of organisation and professionalism that was shown was incredible. We got the result we were after and I would recommend Courtney and her team to anyone. ThankYou again to the Barton Family Law team!
Excellent law practice. Courtney is amazing and the support staff are second to none. Very happy with their conduct of my matter and with the result. Highly recommended
I highly recommend Courtney and her team. I was amazed at their response time and their professionalism. They helped my daughter to navigate through a very difficult settlement, giving expert advice and making her feel at ease. There were tight turn around times and they not only met those timeframes but exceeded our expectations. Thank you Courtney, George and Tenayah, you are all amazing.
I highly recommend Courtney for child matters. She is highly professional, very responsive and efficient. Her knowledge and experience with Family Law helped to achieve the best possible outcome for my daughter. I couldn’t have gotten through this difficult time without her honest approach to working with me as a client.
I highly recommend Barton Family Lawyers, Courtney is an amazing lawyer coupled with high level professionalism, empathic and efficient it is an unbeatable combination. She is able to handle any client’s emotional response with calm and confidence, I would not have been able to cope without her direct honest approach. The bonus is that Barton Family Lawyers are fixed fee and very clear so you know where you are a each stage. No surprises at the end and always available. Thank you so much.
Courtney was amazing from our first meeting. The fixed fees are great as you know what you are in for cost wise. She was super organised and and professional and got me a great outcome in the end. A big thank you to both Courtney and George for all your hard work.
Courtney and her team are nothing short of absolutely astounding. Courtney recently represented my partner through an absolutely awfully vindictive and horrid domestic violence and property matter with very very short notice coming up to a court judgment.
Courtney and her team were extremely thorough, fast to respond and spoke from the heart of exactly how my partner was wanting things to be put across.
I’m not sure where we would be without Barton Law, you guys are incredible!